I don’t know if it is because I am a first generation college student and I have a lot of pressure on me, but I am always thinking about life after college. My friends constantly tease me about how much I enjoy planning ahead, but I just like to feel like I am doing everything in my power to be in a good place after graduation. With that said, if any of you have already started thinking about life after college here is a list of things you can start doing now to start preparing yourself for life after college?
- Make a four year plan- What classes do you need to take each year to be in good standing for graduation?
- What do you want to do after college? Service, grad school, work…
- Internships- What kind of internship do you want? Where do you want to intern? How many internships do you want to complete before graduation?
- Set goals- this can include personal goals, academic goals and professional goals as life as your goals for the semester and your goals for the year.
- Work on your resume- Visit the office of career services at your school and get started on your resume.
- Network- Meet as many people as you can. Attend networking events.
- Create a LinkedIn profile- Connect with everyone you know and use it to network.
- Look into potential employers – What is your dream job? What do you have to do to get there?